Friday, May 28, 2010

Sleepless in Toronto



I have insomnia.
It's pretty bad.
I am perpetually tired.

If you've ever seen the movie Fight Club,
you'll recall the voice over;
how he talks about being tired
and going through his day in a daze.

That's what it's like.
I may joke that I can't remember what I had for breakfast today,
but most of the time I'm not kidding.
Most of the time I'm so tired, I can barely think.

TH heard an ad on Q107 a couple of years ago.
It was for a clinical trial for a new sleep aid.
He wrote down the number.
"Call these guys," he says.

So I did.

It was a fascinating process,
and I learned so much about my sleep habits.
Or, rather, lack thereof.

The drug I tested worked like a charm!
I became a morning person.
I would wake at 5 am, before the alarm went off,
bound out of bed, excited about the day.

It drove TH nuts.

But the pharmaceutical company merged with another
and the other company already had a good sleep drug,
so the one I tested was shelved.

Crap!

Now I'm testing a new one.
Last night was my first night at the sleep clinic.
Not surprising, I didn't sleep very well.
Ask me how tired I am.
No ... wait ... ask me what my name is,
cuz I can assure you, I'll have to think about the answer.



No comments: