Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween everyone! I love Halloween. I especially love shelling out candy and seeing all the little kiddies in their costumes.

I carved our Jack-o-Lantern last night:

The Husband and I have a serious candy debate each year. Which candies do we want to buy? More importantly, which candies will we eat because we haven't given them all out. I don't know why we have so many leftovers. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we buy enough to distribute to 120 kids, when we know full well we only get about 60.

As much as I'd like to dress up to shell out, I just don't have the time or, to be more honest, the energy. It's not the dressing up that tires me out, it's the de-costuming. Remove the outfit, wash off any face/body paint, fix the hair. I can't be bothered anymore.

But I have seen some amazing costumes in my time.

I've seen a group of six people dressed as a six-pack of beer. They were all dressed in brown outfits, with tin plates squished on their heads. And when they walked around, they walked in a group within a cardboard box realistically labeled as Labatt's Blue.

In high school, a couple of guys dressed up in white leotards from head to toe. They had hoola hoops around their waists with white stalkings covering them over the hoops from their necks to their thighs so that they looked like giant tear drops. They approached everyone. "Touch us!" And they felt all slimy. "Ewww! What are you supposed to be?!" "Sperm!!" they yelled.

My hairdresser was telling me about a couples' costume she saw. When you looked at them it didn't make any sense at all. One was dressed as a hippie and one was dressed as a mime. Huh?! But when asked, they said they were Peace and Quiet. Brilliant!

By far, the best costume I've seen was when The Husband and I were on a cruise. Halloween was on the third day of our cruise and there was a contest for anyone who had brought a costume. I was surprised and impressed with the number of people who brought costumes. Participants lined up on stage, the MC asked everyone their names and what their costume was and we, the audience, applauded for the results. The MC arrives at a couple whose costumes were not obvious. There's a murmur in the crowd as we're trying to figure it out. They are both wearing what appears to be dark brown burlap sacks. He is wearing horns. She has a halo and a humongous cross necklace. I turn to The Husband. "I don't get it." He shrugs. "Me neither."

The MC walks over to the couple and you can tell he is equally puzzled. "Soooo ... what are you supposed to be?" The man leans into the microphone. "I'm Bull Shit and (pointing to his wife) this is Holy Shit." Everyone burst out laughing, applauding like crazy and gave them a standing ovation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh,I'm really dissapointed that you didn't dress up. Did you dress the dog? At least I had my own monster at my house....LOL