Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pet Peeve #1 - Basic Manners

We hear all the time how polite Canadians are. I don't know how they arrived at this conclusion, but whoever they are interviewing is clearly not meeting the same ignorant people that I do. Every. Single. Day.

Two words people: Please. Thank you.

OK. That's technically three words, but you know what I mean.

What happened to saying Please at the end of a request? Or Thank You when something is done for you? My father would cuff me on the back of the head if I didn't say Please and Thank You. It is so habitual for me that I don't even think about it. Even when I go to Starbucks I say Please. "A grande, skinny, vanilla latte, Please". And when I receive my latte, I always say Thank You. Heck, I even throw in a smile! Why not?! Protocol be damned!

What really pisses me off is when you obviously do something for someone (that you didn't have to do in the first place) and they don't even look at you, let alone acknowledge you with a smile and a Thank You. I can't tell you how many times I've held the door open for someone and they've just walked through and not even glanced my way. So I've started loudly saying "You're Welcome!" as they pass through. This usually embarrasses them into saying Thank You. I just raise my eyebrows and give them my best you're-an-idiot look.

So spread the word (or words, rather) that manners are back. Say 'Yes, Please' and 'No, Thank You'. And smile a little.

Please ... and Thank You.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and don't even get me started about people who can't even lift their farkin' hands to the rearview mirror after you've let them in front of you whilst driving!!!

Clippy Mat said...

ditto that!
buying coffee today the server did not stop her conversation while taking my order, delivering my order, taking my money and handing me my change. she did not acknowledge me in any way shape or form, nor did she acknowledge my 'thank you'.
so i hit her.
(in my mind that is.)
and it felt GOOD.