Thursday, July 16, 2009

I could have watched all night

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ROCKED!!

What an experience, too. Although this wasn't the first showing (the movie opened at midnight), it was certainly the first day and the audience was pumped. Lady Fairchild, Robilicious and I all agreed it was a wonderful experience.

While we were waiting to go into the theatre, we spied three girls dressed in Hogwarts uniforms. I happened upon one of them in line at the loo and asked her about it. She said they bought them online five years ago and began showing me the detail. She was wearing a gray pleated skirt, with matching gray vest and a white shirt, together with the Hogwarts school tie. A Slytherin crest was sewn on a gorgeous cape. She was quick to point out that she wasn't a bad Slytherin! She showed us various pins and crests on her uniform and produced a wand out of her purse. The whole ensemble was brilliant! She said her sister was Hufflepuff and their friend was a Death Eater. I didn't see the mask, but LF and Robi said it looked great.

There appeared to be a group of about 10 or 12 people all dressed in gray pants and vests, wearing ties.

When Lady Fairchilde and I went for snacks, we saw someone who looked like Sirius Black, and there was a ginger boy who was the spitting image of Ron Weasley, and immediately behind him was (I swear!) Molly Weasley.

The previews played and once they were over, there were sporadic sounds of "shh", then an audible hush fell over the audience. You could feel the excitement in the air.

The moment the music started, the crowd broke out in applause and the game was on. What a great movie! Lots of laughter, great tension and ... yes ... I cried when Dumbledore died. Actually, not exactly when he died, but there was a poignant moment afterwards and I got all throat-lumpy and eye-teary and glanced over at the girls, wiping my eyes. Making eye contact was enough to break my grief because I immediately succumbed to a nervous fit of the giggles and couldn't stop. The theatre is silent as everyone takes in this moment and I'm giggling and snorting like a maniac. I apologize to anyone who was in the theatre with me ... I'm really sorry!

We debriefed as we walked back to Union Station. Robi and I agreed wholeheartedly that it was a fabulous movie. LF seemed to be more reserved and I think I know why. I haven't read the Half-Blood Prince for some time (although I had intended to read it before watching the movie). LF had just finished reading it and felt that the movie was missing a lot of detail. I have felt the same about the first five movies. They were good, but didn't come close to the books. We've come to the conclusion that perhaps reading the book immediately before the movie is not a good idea.

So we've already formed a plan for the release of the first instalment of The Deathly Hollows.

We will be going to the Midnight showing.
We will commence Potterphernalia shopping immediately for said event.
We will not read the book immediately before seeing the movie.

I may have to see that movie again ... two or three more times, in fact.
Gee, I hope The Husband is up to it.

1 comment:

Dani said...

I'm so excited! Haven't seen it yet but I WILL and soon!