Friday, January 2, 2009

Gall darn it!

I'm thinking this year is starting out MUCH better than last year.

This time last year, I was sitting in agony in the emergency room with what turned out to be a gall bladder attack. An attack that lasted five ... I repeat FIVE ... days!

I think I have a pretty high pain threshold. I had a hysterectomy and took no drugs after. Never hit the little button, never took any pain meds after. Was up and walking the same day, in fact.

But this ... this was pain!

The hospital took blood and x-rays and found nothing. I could hardly walk, breathing was a chore and every time someone poked me, I yelped in pain. Finally a doctor begrudgingly decides to run an ultrasound. Although she wasn't supposed to, the technician said she could see something there.

The ER doctor confirmed a stone. He said they don't operate immediately anymore. You have to have several attacks before they do anything. But he said they would fax my information to the local gastro doc and he'd take a look. I'd have to call for an appointment to discuss things with him.

I'm thinking, great, I have to potentially go through this a few more times before anything gets done. This is madness!

I went home and called the doctor's office the next day. Their message said they were closed for the holidays and would be opening on Monday. It was Wednesday. *sigh* Fine, I'll call Monday.

But a few hours later, I got a call from the doctor. We received your test results. The doctor would like to see you as soon as possible. Is next week good with you? What?! Holy crap! Uhm ... Ok.

And when I saw him, he tells me my stone is the size of a grape, which is quite large and it should come out sooner than later. We're booking you in for week after next. That good for you? Uhm ... sure.

So just like that, I am now sans gall bladder.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't do the tummy tuck and lipo at the same time.


Evil Twin's Wife said...

I asked for a tuck at my last c-section and it was a no-go as well. :::sigh:::

Clippy Mat said...

my husband just had his gall bladder removed beginning of dec. he had a bad attack and they kept him in hospital for a week before taking it out. they couldn't do the keyhole surgery tho' so he had the big incision and is off work for 4 weeks. he said it was the worse pain EVER. and i believe him. thank Goodness they didn't make him wait for more attacks before they acted.
Glad yours is gone too :-)