Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Let the Games Begin



This was the first time I've watched the
Olympic Opening Ceremony.

I enjoyed it.
As the commentators pointed out,
it wasn't as spectacular as the last Olympics,
but then again, should it be?

We're in a recession.
There would be an outcry if we spent millions of dollars
on showmanship.

I cried when the Georgian athletes paraded in.
I hope they win a medal.
For no other reason than to say that
the spirit of Nodar Kumaritashvili lives on.

There were some glitches in the ceremony...
not all the pillars lifted
for the torch, for instance.
But Bryan Adams was, by far, the biggest screw up.
It was disappointing beyond words for me.
Kind of like knowing how the magic trick happens.
I don't want to know things like that.
I prefer to be awed through ignorance.

And the idiots running in front of the pick up
that carried Wayne Gretzky to light the second torch!
Hello people!
Do you not see the moving vehicle?
Did your parents not tell you it was dangerous
to run in front of moving cars?
Sheesh!



No comments: