Monday, February 23, 2009

One for the Team

Last week was crazy at work. Especially for my bosses. So at the end of the day on Friday, Boss #1 tells me to go find Boss #2. "He's buying drinks. Come with."

OK! Like I'm gonna turn down a drink!!

But first, I had to send out a document to some clients. Boss #1 has all the contacts in his computer, so I'm sitting at his desk, typing away; he's sitting in the guest chair. It occurs to me that I should phone The Husband and tell him I'm going to be late. So being the Multi-Task Queen that I am, I punch in my home number and leave the phone on speaker so I can talk and type.

"Who you callin'?" asks Boss #1.

"The Husband. Tell him I'm gonna be late."

And The Husband answers. "Hello?"

Now, knowing The Husband, I want to warn him before he says anything stupid. "You're on speaker phone and my boss is right beside me."

Pause. "Oooooh kaaaaayyyy."
And in the background, Boss #1 says "Boss. I like that." I roll my eyes at him.

"I'm gonna be a little late," I say. "I'm going out for drinks with my bosses."

And what does The Husband say?
Not, have fun, I'll miss you ... nothing normal like that.

Instead ...
"Well ... you do what you gotta do to get that raise, babe!"

Boss #1 calmly says, "Way to be supportive," and gives a thumbs-up to the phone.

Great ... I'm surrounded!

3 comments:

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

That is the funniest thing ever! I love the warning ahead of time that you're on speaker. I think that should be mandatory for anyone ever brave enough to put me on speakerphone!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Very cute...glad you survived the hellish week.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Never turn down a free drink!