Friday, July 9, 2010

One Ringy Dingy



Boss #1 tells me that
John Doe, a consultant client,
will be meeting another lawyer in our office.

"Phone him and see if he's available to meet with me at two."

So I call him.
The voice on the other end of the phone says:
"John Doe Consulting, how may I help you?"

I smile.
The guy sounds like he's 15 years old.
How cute is that?
Somebody got themselves a summer job
answering the phone at mummy or daddy's office.

I ask, in my professional voice:
"May I speak with John Doe's assistant, please?"

"One moment, please," he says.

I hold for about 15 seconds.

Then there's a click,
and the call is picked up,
and the EXACT SAME VOICE comes on the line.

"John Doe speaking."

There was no mistaking the voice.
It didn't just sound a little bit like him.
It was EXACTLY like him.
It WAS him!

Dude, if you're gonna fake having lots of staff,
at least disguise your voice.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing,
while visions of a Lily Tomlin skit ran through my head.



1 comment:

Donkey said...

You got to be kidding, did he have a permission slip from it's parents to answer the phone, did he just hit puberty?